Adaptive Housing Grants

The Ryan Kules and Paul Benne Specially Adaptive Housing Improvement Act of 2019 is named for two military veterans who became disabled as a result of military service. This program provides funds to help Veterans with a permanent and total service-connected disability to purchase or build an adapted home or to modify an existing home to assist with their accessibility.

What are the Types of Specially Adaptive Housing Grants Available?

There are three types of grants available under the statute. They are:

  • The Specially Adapted Housing Grant (SAH),
  • The Special Housing Adaptation Grant (SHA), and
  • The Temporary Residence Adaptation Grant (TRA).

The main difference between who is eligible for the SAH and who is eligible for the SHA is the type of disability the veteran has. Veterans who have injuries that affect their ability to move and to navigate through the home are usually the ones eligible for the SAH. Veterans who are able to move throughout the house but require assistance to perform the tasks of daily living are normally the ones eligible for the SHA grant.

The TRA grant helps with the adaptation of a temporary residence. These grants may appy if the veteran rents their home or currently lives with a family member but plans to move out once rehabilitation is complete. Such veterans may be eligible for the TRA.

Who is Eligible for a Specially Adaptive Housing Grant?

For an SAH grant, the veteran must own or be in the process of purchasing the home, and the veteran must have a qualifying service-connected disability such as:

  • The loss of more than one limb or the loss of use of more than one limb;
  • The loss or loss of use of a lower leg along with the lasting effects of an organic disease or injury;
  • Blindness in both eyes;
  • Certain severe burns;
  • The loss or loss of use of one lower extremity (foot or leg) after September 11, 2001, which make it so the veteran cannot balance or walk without the help of crutches, canes or a wheelchair.

To be eligible for a SHA grant, the veteran must use the money to buy, build, or adapt their permanent home. The veteran must also meet these addition requirements: (1) The veteran or a family member owns or will own the home; and (2) the veteran has a qualifying service-connected disability. Qualifying service-connected disabilities include:

  • Blindness in both eyes (with 20/200 visual acuity or less);
  • The loss of use of both hands;
  • Certain severe burns;
  • Certain respiratory or breathing injuries.

The recipient does not need to use the entire grant in a single year. The veteran can opt to use a portion of the grant and use the rest is a subsequent year. 

How Does Someone Apply for a SAH or SHA Grant?

The grant program is administered by the VA. To apply, the veteran will need the following documents: (1) their social security number, and (2) VA file or claim number. They can apply on the VA’s website. The VA has an online application form and details on the requirements for eligibility -

They may also choose to apply by mail. Fill out an application form (VA Form 26-4555). It can download as a PDF version form the VA website. Once the Veteran has filled out the form, mail the completed application to the nearest regional loan center. There are 8 regional loan centers in the nation. For Arizona veterans, the closest VA Regional Loan Center is in Phoenix. Send the application to:

Department of Veterans Affairs

VA Regional Loan Center

3333 North Central Avenue

Phoenix, Arizona 85012-2402

The Veteran may also go to the VA Regional Loan Center and fill out the application in person.  


Veteran Affairs Disability Housing Grants -

How to Apply for Housing Grants -

This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use