Arizona Civil Legal Needs Community Survey

Civil legal organizations in Arizona are seeking your input to increase their ability to meet the civil legal needs of Arizona's lower income residents. Please complete this survey to assist in improving civil legal services in Arizona.

Encuesta de Necesidades Legales Civiles de Arizona

Las organizaciones legales civiles en Arizona buscan su opinión para aumentar su capacidad de satisfacer las necesidades legales civiles de los residentes de bajos ingresos de Arizona. Por favor complete esta encuesta para ayudar a mejorar los servicios legales civiles en Arizona.


Servicemembers Civil Relief Act and Eviction for Nonpayment of Rent

What is the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)?

The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) provides protection for active-duty members of the military. This act gives military members a range of legal and financial protections that a civilian does not have.

SCRA addresses consumer, financial, and housing law issues that an active-duty service member may encounter before, during, or after a relocation or deployment.  

Searching through a book with a magnifying glass

Who is covered under SCRA?

The following individuals may be covered under the SCRA: 

  • A full-time active-duty member of the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine, Navy, or Space Force. 
  • A reservist on active duty.  
  • A member of the National Guard on federal orders for a period of more than 30 days. 
  • A service member who is absent from duty for a lawful cause or because of illness, injury, or leave. 
  • A commissioned officer of the Public Health Service (PHS) or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). 
  • A service member’s dependent may be eligible in certain situations. This may include a service member’s spouse, child, or any other person who has received at least one-half of the service member’s financial support in the last 6 months.

How does SCRA protect me from being evicted?

House with a warning symbol display in its eaves.

If the service member is being evicted for nonpayment of rent, the SCRA allows courts to postpone an eviction hearing for a service member for up to 3 months or longer if it can be proven that military service impacted the member’s ability to pay rent.  

A court may also change the amount of rent due for service members who are being evicted. However, the extension of time or reduction of rent is only possible if the member’s monthly rent is below a certain amount. The amount changes every year based on interest rates and inflation.  

In Arizona, to pause the eviction for 90 days, the eviction must be for nonpayment of rent [1] and not because of damage caused to the property or breach of the leasing agreement [2]. 

1. A.R.S. § 33-1368(B); A.R.S. § 33-1476(E); A.R.S. § 33-2143(E)
2. A.R.S. § 33-1368(A); A.R.S. § 33-1476(D); A.R.S. § 33-2143(D)

I have been served with an eviction notice, what do I do?

If a landlord files an eviction complaint against a service member for nonpayment of rent, the service member should inform the court of their active-duty status and ask for a “stay of the proceeding” which could pause the eviction. 

A “stay of the proceeding” on the eviction can be asked in one of two ways:

  • A service member may go the hearing and ask the judge for the stay. 
  • A service member may file a written motion for the stay with the clerk of the court, deliver a court-stamped copy of the motion to the landlord or the landlord’s attorney, then go to the hearing and ask the judge for the stay. R.P.E.A. Rule 9 

I am being evicted for a material breach of the lease; do I have options under the SCRA?

No. Unfortunately, the SCRA does not provide protections against lease violations. To find out more information about the eviction process or to find legal help visit AZEvictionHelp.


If I am overseas, does SCRA protect my loved ones back home?

The SCRA may protect dependents back home from being evicted without needing a court order. The court needs to be informed about the service member’s active-duty status and a “stay of the proceeding” may be requested.

This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use